There are significant distinctions between static and rotating proxies. This article is for you if you are new and don’t comprehend the differences. You will learn all you need to know and understand how these work.
Static proxies are intermediaries with fixed IP addresses. Even if your actual IP address changes, a static proxy server will always link you to websites using the same IP address.
Only datacenter proxies and ISP proxies can be static in general. The servers that house them are always running and can assign the same IP address to an individual. As a result, they are highly reliable. A phone farm can also run static proxies. But, owing to their technological characteristics, mobile carriers will cycle the address sooner or later. Residential proxy servers always rotate after each request or at a fixed interval.
Rotating proxies give you new IP addresses automatically. Time or the number of requests can determine the rotation period. For example, you can submit 1000 connection requests from 1000 distinct IP addresses.
Every proxy type, in principle, may rotate. The difficulty is in the configuration. Residential proxy servers generally rotate their IP addresses regularly. Because residential proxies rely on actual individuals with unpredictable connections, they cannot be considered static. At best, you can have a persistent IP address that remains constant for 10-30 minutes.
- IP Rotation. You will always connect with the same IP address if you use a static proxy server. Your IP address will cycle regularly with a rotating proxy server.
- Exclusivity. Static proxies are shared or dedicated. Providers can allocate proxies for your exclusive usage based on your demands. Rotating proxies are only shared. You and other individuals share access to the same pool of IPs.
- Performance. Static proxies perform admirably. Virtual servers with fast internet connections, such as 1 Gbps or 10 Gbps, are often used to host them. Free proxy lists do not fall under this category. Performance varies for rotating proxies. Rotating datacenter proxies will function well. Mobile and residential proxies will function with lesser predictability.
- Setup. For static proxies, you will receive a list of IP addresses. Rotating proxies allow you to go through to a load-balancing server, which routes your requests to multiple addresses.
- Price. Providers sell static proxies charging per the number of IP addresses. Costs for rotating proxy packages vary depending on how much bandwidth you consume or how many IP addresses you access simultaneously.
- Settings. Once you obtain a static proxy, you cannot change its settings, such as location. You are stuck with what you have got. If you use a rotating proxy, you can change the gateway server settings to change the IP address’s location or how often it cycles. Similarly, you can get as many or as few IP addresses as you choose.
- Problems. With static IPs, you must take care of each unique address and discard or replace it. Your rotating IP doesn’t work? Simply cycle the IP address with a new one.
Your requirements determine the proxy you select. Though static and rotating proxies have their advantages and disadvantages, there is no doubt that one is superior to the other depending on the desired outcome.
Static Proxies Use Cases
Using static proxies is useful when managing multiple accounts or completing a multi-step task, like checking out at a sneaker store, which will require retaining the same identity over time. By using sticky sessions, users can accomplish many of these tasks, but the provided 10 or 30 minutes aren’t always enough.
- Social Media Management. Static proxies use a single IP address during a user’s session. Thus, they are considerably superior for social media management. Repeatedly changing an account’s IP address will lead to a ban.
- E-commerce. If the data is dependent on the user’s location, a static proxy is the preferred option. The platform may provide different information when a user returns to a website using a new IP address. When a buyer signs into the website from another location, the website may receive a notification.
- Market Research. Considering data varies based on a user’s location, static proxies would come in handy if the user only wanted access to information in one region. A rotating IP addresses won’t help since marketing information is highly dynamic.
Rotating Proxies Use Cases
Rotating proxies offer advantages over static proxies for acquiring information more efficiently. Generally, rotating proxies are best for jobs that require you to modify your IP address frequently. A primary focus is scraping enormous amounts of data from e-commerce, travel, and accommodation websites. If you make too many queries from the same IP, the website will flag you, displaying CAPTCHAs, and eventually banning your IP address.
- SEO Monitoring. When you utilize a rotating proxy, your account is less likely to be banned or prohibited from making too many requests on a single IP address.
- E-commerce Scraping. This particular use case necessitates a large number of static or rotating proxies. Because having an account blocked is the most likely situation, rotating proxies offer the advantage of utilizing various IP addresses for each session.
- Price Aggregation. Scaling and emerging price aggregators have a difficult time obtaining information. That is why, when they visit a vendor site as a customer, they use a rotating proxy to avoid being banned or prevented from accessing the site.
- Travel Aggregation. Many travel fare aggregators collect information from several enterprises, such as aircraft companies, hotels, and travel agents, and distribute it online. Rotating proxies enable rapid and seamless collection of comparable data from numerous sources.
- Ad Verification. Advertising verification allows advertisers to determine if their ads are displayed on the correct websites, viewed by the right audiences, and so on. Since IP addresses regularly change, access to dozens of websites is possible without IP bans.
If your project or business relies on proxies, selecting the right type that meets your demands is crucial. Because of the rising risk of cybercrime, internet security has become an essential aspect of any request. Disguising IP addresses with proxy servers is one means of securing communications.
Now you know the differences between static and residential proxies. Check out the best proxy providers on the market!